Monday, November 18, 2013

Rainbow Sandals in Uganda - Who Would Have Guessed -- November 18, 2013

Hello Family and Friends:

Hey I hope that everyone is doing well. This week has gone by really, really fast.

So I have a little story for everyone.

This week we went and worked in Njeru. We spent some time with the elders to help them out and see how they are doing. During this time, I had the opportunity to work with Elder Calhoun and Elder Bawuti. I was happy to work with them since I have not had a chance to really get to know them.

As the evening approached, we passed a large church. I looked over at the church and a white guy came running towards me with the biggest smile on his face! He runs up and says, “Hey Mazongu!” This basically means, “Hey white guy.”

I laughed because he was white as well. After talking to him for a little bit, I found out that he is Jehovah Witness missionary. I looked down and saw that he was wearing sandals. But not just any sandals, he was wearing Rainbows. I asked him if he was from California. He smiled and said, “Yep!”

I then responded with a big smile and asked him where in California. He then shared with me that he was from Irvine! In case you do not know, Irvine very close to where I lived in California This was a big surprise and we had a connection. His name is Andrew. It was a cool thing to meet someone so close to my old homestead. :)

This week we tracted a lot. It was very unsuccessful over all. Hahaha So there is much to share about our week tracting. However, I will share about one of the people that we have been teaching for the past week or so. I will catch you up on James. He is the guy that called us off the street in the last email. He is doing amazing!

Over the past few times, we have been focusing on the Restoration and the Book of Mormon. As we have been teaching him, we have asked him for a commitment to pray and ask God if these things are true. We know that anyone can say that their church is true. But we learn from the Bible in Ephesians 4:5 that there is "One Lord, One Faith, and one Baptism".

Which means exactly what it says: there is one God, one church, and one form of Baptism. As we talked to him about this principle, we have been asking him how are you going to know if Joseph Smith truly saw God and Jesus Christ, that he was called to be a prophet and that he was called to restore the same church that Jesus Christ started when he was on the earth unless he prays about it. When he read Ephesians, it seemed to click. He really began to pray and wait upon the Lord for an answer.

If Joseph Smith is a true Prophet of God then the church is true as well. Or if the church is the one true church then Joseph Smith is a prophet of God. I know that if anyone prays asking God if The Church of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints is the true church that they will get an answer. As long as they heed the advice in the scriptures about listening to the spirit, they will receive an answer.

In Galatians 5:22-23 it says "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law." So it tells us that if we pray and ask God if the church is true, we need to wait for these feelings to come into our heart. When one of these feelings comes into our heart, it is the Spirit confirming the truth. As long as we ask a direct question and we are willing to stay on our knees until we get the answer and continue praying until we get the answer we will receive the answer. It might not be the first time we pray, it might not be the second time we pray but it will come! It is according to Gods time not ours.

So I know that if James continues to apply all of these things, he will know soon enough the truth about what we are sharing with him. I also know that if anyone wants to know if these things are true or not, all they have to do is apply the principle from above and pray. The answer will be given.

I hope that James continues to pray asking God if these things are true.

I love you all and hope all is going well back home.

Sincerely,

Elder Bitter





P.s Happy Thanks Giving Everyone :)

No comments:

Post a Comment