Monday, August 5, 2013

Mechanical Distractions - August 5, 2013

This week was unusual. We had to travel to Kampala for a meeting. It took most of Monday. The unique part of the day(s) is told below.

When I first arrived in Jinja, I was given a truck to drive. After driving it, I realized there were a lot of problems with the truck. While driving the truck, a ridiculously loud popping noise was coming from the front, right side of the truck. Also, it would pull to one side so hard that I would grip the steering wheel as if there was no power steering. The last problem was vibration. After driving it, I called the mission office and requested some maintenance on the truck. I requested an alignment check, a tire rotation, the oil changed and the steering column repaired. I knew that all of these things needed to be done. The truck had really been neglected by past missionaries.

The mission office accepted the request and said that at the next ZLC, we could drop the truck off at a repair shop. We arrived in Kampala safely and without any problems which was a relief. We left the truck at the repair shop and made our way to the mission office for the meeting.

After the meeting was over (Tuesday afternoon), we asked the office if the truck was ready. They told us that it wouldn’t be done till 7pm that evening. My companion and I just sat in the mission office for a few hours. We then we called the repair shop hoping the truck was done. They told us that they had driven the truck after the requested maintenance and repairs and it was still pulling to the right and the vibration was still there as well.

The shop informed us that it would not be ready until the next day. The bushings in the truck were dead and they needed to be replaced. They indicated that it would be done on Wednesday afternoon at two o ‘clock. So we spent another night in Kampala and traveling back to the mission office in the morning. Finally 2:00 p.m. arrived (waiting is a slow game). We called the garage and they indicated that it would be done around 5pm.

After exchanging a few words, we learned that no matter what we tried to do; we would not be able to speed up the process. This garage is the only one in the whole city that can handle these types of repairs. So we waited! Right at 5 p.m., we called them and they informed us that the truck was still not ready. The vibration was still there.

It wouldn’t be done until Thursday at 2pm.! ARGH!! We said, “What is the problem now?” They had found parts of the mounts had been broken and pieces had fallen off which was causing the vibration. The process repeated itself! Slept at the AP’s flat, went to the mission office to wait, and called again at 2:00 p.m. After waiting for a little bit, we decided to go to the shop and sit there until they had it finished. A visual reminder if you know what I mean. (The manager had given me his word that the truck would be finished at two.)

We arrived at 1:45 but didn’t get the truck until about 3:30. They had all of the parts set out for us so we could see the true damage and problems. It was an impressing array of damaged parts. I’m glad they found the problems and were able to fix it. In the end, I felt it was a great blessing that they were able to find all the problems and that we had been safe driving that truck before fixing it.

After I drove the truck, I could tell that the problems were fixed. It was a long week over all. This left us with only Friday, Saturday, and Sunday to proselyte.

We were able to visit William. He is a father of six and a successful provider. His wife is a member of the church. She hasn't been coming to church for some time; however, recently has started to come to church again. When she started coming again, she asked us to come and teach her husband about the Gospel. This is one of my favorite things to hear! It is so much easier when someone introduces you to an investigator.

When we met William he was really welcoming and kind. He had nothing but great things to say and was happy over all. As we taught him, he gladly accepted the message. One thing that President Chatfield has really taught is to teach with boldness which leads to a greater chance of acceptance. We are not to be pushy or rude but let them know how important the truth is for each person. I have really noticed that as you teach with boldness but yet kindness, people can really tell that the gospel is real and is important.

William gladly accepted the challenge to be baptized but sadly his baptism date is going to have to be a bit farther out because of his work. He is traveling to China in two weeks for a teaching job for about three months. He will then bring the students that he is teaching back to Uganda with him. They will then study in Uganda. I was kind of sad when I found out because we do not have enough time to teach him everything.

Yet after contemplating, I realized that it’s OK :) We will continue to teach him until he leaves for China We will give him a lot of reading material so that he can read during his flight and when he is there in China. But I know that the missionaries that are here when he returns will have a great person to teach and he will really progress in the gospel nicely :)

I really look forward to teaching him some more until he leaves for China. I can see him being a great strength to this branch. He will lift and support the branch.

And on the plus side we are invited over to his home for another appointment and he is going to feed us :) so no complaints there :) I already know what is on the menu its Kalo and some sauces to dip it in :) When you eat that stuff, I am guaranteed not to be hungry for a long time. I have never eaten anything that stays in your stomach for as long as Kalo. It’s probably because our bodies say, “What in the world do I do with this stuff?!” It’s all good and tastes alright. No complaints there :)

I hope all is well back home and I hope that everything is going smoothly.

Love you all

Elder Bitter

No comments:

Post a Comment